Monday, January 11, 2010

Toothbrush holders, panty liners and other items of interest to national security

As I write this, I'm enduring some turbulence on West Jet flight 1852 to Kaluhui. I can't even pronounce that, but that is my destination. I am actually not blogging this at all. I'm writing on the back of my BelAir Travel itinerary with my SaskPower promotional pen - (thanks EnerAction!).

It's 11:15 pm Sask time, and I'd kill to brush my teeth, have a glass of water and a hot meal! But who's complaining? This is what going to Hawaii entails. The day started with delays. Grant dropped me off at YQR (makes Regina airport sound exotic, doesn't it?) at 12:50, two hours and ten minutes before I was supposed to leave. Make that three hours...a 4:00 departure instead of 3:00, says the super-chipper-WestJet-check-in girl with thick eyeliner. After a record fast check in and security clearance, I`m waiting. Jen texted me for awhile, I called my oldest BFF Jeri, and paced the airport to keep my hip pain from flaring from the excessive sitting. I`m sure the airport cameras caught me wandering like some kind of mental, anxious flyer, but really, it`s just an inflamed joint.

Finally at 3:58, I board.
CHECK DOCS.
My boarding pass gets scanned again.
CHECK DOCS.
The WestJet guy can`t get the message to go away, but there is a green check mark, so I am clear to board. Whew.

Go to Calgary. Stop. Go to Vancouver. Transfer. With the hour delay, we just make it through customs in time. Lucky me, the same crew flying me to Vancouver also flys us to Hawaii, but on a different plane, so no worries about missing the flight! They are just as delayed as the passengers.

Anyway, the point of this blog....the drill with CATSA: remove your shoes, belt, jacket, purse. Put them in a plastic tote to be scanned. Guess what. CATSA staff have never seen my rocking Tupperware toothbrush holder. I threw it in my purse because we can`t have carry on bags. It holds your toothbrush upright, with a little weight at the bottom. It scans, they don`t recognize it, and want to go through my items. Fine. I particularly enjoyed watching the big burly security man fumbling and putting panty liners back into my make-up kit. I tried not to laugh. They finally found the offensive item and determine it is not a weapon. Uh no. I probably could throw it at someone`s head and leave a good dent. Might be a possibility in the case of the parents behind me in line with the pair of four-year-olds carrying on and laughing about poop and bums.

Then came the CSI moment.

A swipe of your hands to determine if you have `material that could be detrimental to the operation of the aircraft`, is how they put it. (Not a test for H1N1 as the elderly gentleman in front of me suggested). Apparently he`s never seen Horatio and Grissom in action on CSI.

Did I mention the turbulence! Wooo!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys crack me up! I just about peed my pants. I'll have to read on a regular basis, I can't handle them all at once.