Sunday, October 23, 2011

Flu Shots Are Free. And So Is The Parenting Advice.

So, it's flu season, and being a responsible parent I decide to get my son's flu shot early in the year because he needs to get two.

I head down to the free flu shot clinic, and enter the 20 minute line-up.

Noticing my baby, the kind and friendly volunteer gives me a permission form for my child. She is an elderly women. And by elderly I mean ELDERLY. Maybe 75? 95? Who knows. Anyway, after some small talk she asks if I have any aspirin to give my baby. That's what she gave her kids before they got needles you see, and maybe if I had some, I could give it to my baby too.

The conversation in my head went like this: "Your kids are 50. Maybe 60. You can't give aspirin to anyone under age 20. As you can see, my child is 7 months old. And I am pretty sure since he has made it this far that I am doing a pretty okay job in the parenting department." But, I just told her that I have tylenol at home if he needs it.

So, after a few minutes, the elderly lady behind me in line starts up a conversation. First she says, "You're not inoculating HIM ARE YOU?" (Insert face of shock and horror here.) My reply is yes, babies and children are a high risk group. And, as a caregiver, I am getting one too. This response is followed by a comment that she has several great grandchildren and she has a granddaughter who is not vaccinating her kids because they feel it's poison. (Warning: my humble opinion is coming up...) The conversation in my head went like this: "Poison? Have you seen what polio does to people? Diptheria? Mumps? Do you think those diseases have disappeared? No, they haven't. They are under control because of vaccination." Anyway, I know the whole immunization thing is a hot topic for some reason, but to keep things friendly I just said, "Oh, well, that is a parent's choice." Then I silently hoped the non-vaccinated children of the world would stay healthy. And out of contact with my baby.

Soon after, we received our flu shots and spent a lovely advice-free afternoon at home. Thanks also to the nurse who happened to notice my cute baby, and the cute chubby leg perfect for vaccinating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how everything works out as long as people notice how cute the baby is. Woe to the fools who fail to regard the ridiculously cute infant! If I ever work in customer service again I'm going to use that as a tool: "No, we don't have that item on the shelf because we're lazy and mean...but WHAT a cute baby/scarf/hairdo/dog..."!