Saturday, December 13, 2008

Addictions

Angela has what is becoming an addiction to the New Kids. Now, since I've taken half a psychology class, I feel like I can accurately see the situation. Angela was a die hard NKOTB fan during the early 1990's. She even once wrote into the newspaper to tell them she'd always love them and it wasn't just a fad. Angela's NKOTB obsession eventually became extinct. Extinction is a common occurence, it's the progressive weakening of a response because of non presentation of the stimulus. So, she still has the neural pathways in her brain to love NKOTB, but their absence caused these pathways to go unused for many years. When she heard that NKOTB were back, it sparked spontaneous recovery. The process of which those pathways become used again. It's the re-emergence of a response after it had previously been extinguished.

So, this is my theory why, that in only a month, Angela has become all consumed again. She has begun to exhibit tween like behavior, she spending too much money on them, spending all her extra time researching them, watching youtube videos. As an adult a tween obsession is dangerous, she's not going to spend all her babysitting money on tickets, she's going to spend her government money $$$ on flying around the world to stalk them. In serious stages this can lead to marriage breakdown, bankruptcy, job loss, alientation of those around her.

Just last week, I told her I was going to Nickelback and she accused me of cheating with other boy bands. Now, I'm not sure how that's cheating. I haven't slept with any of them. I'm not saying I wouldn't. Especially since I would, I'd let any of them preggo my eggo, that's a meal ticket for 18 years! Anyway, my point is Angela is starting to get out of hand. Which she can slightly admit to. So maybe that's the first step to her healing.

However, she isn't completely innocent. I am her enabler. I enable! I have my own addictions, I went to Africa for 3 weeks and couldn't go a day without Perez Hilton or Facebook, so I understand how important a role as an enabler is. With that being said, I am happy to enable my sister and be her partner in crime. When she asks me how much tickets to London are, I will find a good deal! When she starts a blog, I will contribute. When she finds out tickets to the NKOTB after party were only $5 and we didn't know, I will be angry and blame someone else along side her!

No comments: