Thursday, November 12, 2009

Banff. Through the Eyes of Grant's Cell Phone

Okay. Who are we kidding. It's MY cell phone, but Grant does use it occasionally. One such occasion was our trip to Banff. I was at a conference and he had some time to kill. Here's what he saw fit to photograph:

He tells me this guy was wearing shorts.

This was the bundle of sticks that was $30 at a craft store. He LOVED that.

This is why it's a National Park!

Parks Canada building.

Another beautiful mountain.

Yes Jen, there is a Booster Juice and a Louis Vutton in the same mall. (click to enlarge)

You can ALWAYS find a place to drink.
Grant was pretty sure the Bay went bankrupt. I said that was Eatons and Woolco.
Downtown.

Even the alleys are nicer in the mountains.


Our hotel.

Outside our hotel.

What was surprising to me is that there is NO Tim Hortons in Banff. Not one. I found this unusual considering the nauseating amount of Canadian-isms all over the place.
In fact, I had no idea that Canada was so full of dreamcatchers, stuffed polar bears/grizzly bears/foxes/moose/elk, RCMP in red serges, log cabins, bacon and maple leaves. All that and not ONE Tim Hortons? Second Cup and Starbucks are clearly not Canadian enough to fit into this scene.
The other interesting note is that there were very few "Canadians" in sight. Now, before you paint me as a racist, I realize "we are all immigrants" blah-blah-blah, but really, every single person we talked to had a distinct accent! Australians? Check. Swedes? Check. Japanese? Check. Brits? Check. Americans? Yup - check!
Excuse me, but where is my maple-leaf-waving-bacon-eating-Canadian-accented-red-serge-wearing-RCMP? Is he snuggled with the stuffed moose on his mantle in his log cabin with the bear rug under the watch of a dreamcatcher? Must be. He doesn't have any Timmies to keep him going.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love Banff ! Although every gift store sells the same stuff . I have to agree with all the different nationalities .