Friday, March 19, 2010

Aging Sucks.

I had my first moment of "I am too old to wear those" the other day.

I was looking at all the different running shoes in the store, and I saw a sign that said Vans, which was my favorite brand of shoe when I was a young hip teenager. Of course, they no longer resemble what I hoped they would. Now they look like the DC skateboard shoes that teenagers wear.

I picked a pair off the shelf and was struck by this feeling that I had never felt before...something like "if I wore those, I would be the crazy lady in her 30's trying to be cool"...perhaps a subject on What Not To Wear. I admit, this was the first time I ever looked at something and had it occur to me that those were inappropriate for someone my age. Sucky!

On the other hand, I had enough money to buy the leather Kenneth Cole pointy-toed pumps that I love. I couldn't have done that as a 17 year-old snot-nose kid working at KFC. I guess aging does have its advantages.

No comments: