Saturday, March 14, 2009

Top Ten Tunes

Inspired by a NKOTB blog that I follow, (like that surprises you) ... I want to create my own top 10 songs that I love. If you don't know them, I suggest YouTube to check it out. Somewhat in order are as follows:
  1. Fancy by Reba - any country song that tells a story is my favorite. From trash to class. Kinda tells my life story - hah!
  2. And So It Goes by Billy Joel - this song made me love the piano man--the actual Piano Man, Billy Joel, plus two other guys I developed crushes on. (They shall remain nameless.) I learned it in high school swing choir.
  3. November Rain by Guns 'n Roses - the classic eight minute rock song. I loved the wedding dress in the video worn by Stephanie Seymour. Jamie Hykawy and I watched this video, and all others, endlessly.
  4. 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton - like I could have a top ten without Ms. Parton. This was the first song of hers that I ever heard. Grandma and Grandpa Hill had the record, and the centerfold was Dolly in a red sweater with a neon blue background.
  5. Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith - I always thought Steven Tyler was sexy. From a distance kinda-way.
  6. A Picture of Me Without You by Lorrie Morgan - the song that started my career at the Melfort Fair Free Stage. And Grandma Nelson likes when us girls sing it and Corey plays guitar.
  7. Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison - this song just makes me happy. I don't even have brown eyes, but it doesn't matter.
  8. Tonight by New Kids on the Block - okay, most NKOTB songs are too bubble-gummy to actually be good, but this one is. Always was my favorite because Jordan plays piano. (See my piano crushes on number 2. Better add Jordan to the list too.)
  9. Ebony & Ivory by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney - Stevie is incredible. McCartney a genius. Songwriters are the poets of our time. Plus, the MiniPops did a cover of this song on one of their albums. As a six-year-old, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I loved it.
  10. Broken Wing by Martina McBride - if Martina and Celine Dion were in a sing-off, Martina would kick Celine's ass. Listen to this song and tell me I'm wrong.
  11. Bonus song - Sideways by Dierks Bentley. This doesn't deserve to be on the list, as it's just my favorite right now. If I still like it in 15 years, I will keep it on the list.

Other contenders for the list include Dance Little Jean by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and My Girl by the Temptations. The first reminds me of my dad, the second of my mom. I'm a sap, what can I say. Happy listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement about Reba's FANCY.I always loved that one. I like some of your others too