Sunday, February 21, 2010

Walmart Supercenter is not super

Before Jennifer gets all greedy and does all the blogging, accusing me of not having any adventures, I would like to tell a little story about the new Walmart Supercenter.

(I don't have a picture. Jennifer does. WTF? I know, but maybe she can add it.)

This Supercenter just opened on Feb. 10th. Even the mayor was there. It's the first store in the new development out by my house. This is MY Walmart, so I am feeling a little protective from all the nosy shoppers who normally go to the east or north store, but now feel the need to get all up in my face at MY Walmart.

Anyway, this store is ginormous, and has groceries (like ground beef and bananas) and all the other items you've come to expect from Walmart.

The difference at Supercenter Walmart? They don't actually have any inventory. I know what you're thinking. Super Walmart should have super inventory. Maybe it's because I went on a Sunday and all the weekend shoppers have raped and pillaged every aisle. But I am telling you, there WAS NOTHING ON THE SHELVES!

I went to get Grant's deoderant first. That was the only thing I absolutely needed, because I am not sharing mine with Grant. Nothing. I mean, a few yucky old Speed Sticks that even Dad wouldn't use, and Axe in chocolate scent. (Side note for boys: girls do not want your pits to smell like Pot of Gold. Just buy us Pot of Gold.) I managed to find a promo section with some Degree on it, complete with a car odometer on the front and Grant agreed to use it. We can all be thankful for that.

Next, food aisles. Ketchup? Sure, if you want the tiny organic Heinz bottle, or maybe the super-sized Great Value brand.

Okay, dish soap. I am not fussy - Palmolive, Dawn, Sunlight - whatever. I managed to find three bottles left. WAY the hell at the back. Not a place where 5'2 (okay 1 and a half) shoppers can reach.

Then I hit the craft section to refuel for my scrapbooking sessions. They have no glue sticks and no more Cricut cutting mat refills. Except for the 12 inch ones which nobody uses because the machines are $600.

So, needless to say, I was lucky to even survive the crowds, and have no goods to show for it. And y'know how the cashiers usually say "Did you find everything today?" - I was totally ready to say "NO" - and, she didn't even ask. She may not have been awake, actually. Or, maybe her dreads were cutting off the blood supply to her brain.

I stopped for a Tim's double double on my way out. (Yes, there is a Timmy's in the store.) That has really helped to ease the pain. But let's hope next weekend when I take Mom and Grandma here that they ship some more supplies in!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I thought everyone has had a SUPER WALMART for awhile. Guess I am already used to it. I hate when they don't have stock out . I am glad Grant won't stink for awhile though.

Ange and Jen said...

I think Saskatoon has one, maybe...this is the first one for Regina. SK is a little behind!